Temperatures have remained above freezing through Wednesday afternoon. Cooling off tonight finally with a chance of snow showers each of the next few days. So far, however, not enough accumulation to make much difference in the Lake Placid area where the base is pretty much gone. Whiteface Highway also pretty much down to pavement for the first several miles. Paul Smiths still has an icy base, as does the Newcomb area. With a few inches, these areas will again be skiable. There is also a base left in the Tug Hill, Cranberry Lake, and Old Forge areas, but that's about it for the moment. Next update on Friday, 1/17, when we see if the "40% chance of snow showers" on Sunday is "upgraded" to something we might be able to ski on.
Report is actually late on 1/11, but your reporter needs to be gone early on 1/12. In any event, still no good news to report as Monday will again be in the 40s followed by a slow cooling as the week progresses. A few snow showers predicted during the week, but nothing that will build back the base that we have lost. Only good news is that it may be quite cold (but not as cold s last week) by the end of the week. This will help freeze up the numerous wet areas on area ski trails.
The Paul Smiths VIC does report some trails open, so that's a possibility along with the neighboring Hays Brook Truck Trail. Also, still 6" in Newcomb, so today's dusting of snow will make that tour again recommended. Otherwise, it's sit back and wait to see how much new snow we get this week in the intermittent snow showers.
Skis or snowshoes not required in the High Peaks except perhaps for travel above 3,000 feet. Crampons or other serious traction aid definitely required to get to 3,000 feet.
Looks as though any cross-country skiing is pretty much "on hold" until this latest warm weather pattern ends. Today's forecast includes flood warnings as temperatures will be near 50 with up to an inch of rain. A little cooler on Sunday with perhaps some snow, but then in the 40s Monday and Tuesday before cooling down to highs in the 30s through Friday. No significant snow in the forecast after the cool down. Mt. Van Hoevenberg is again closed and no sections of the Jackrabbit trail can be recommended. Only Newcomb still has 6" of snow, and that mean the road to Newcomb Lake remains a good, if soggy, ski. Further west, the Tug Hill area received several feet of snow and some of this made it as far as Cranberry Lake. The Old Forge-Inlet area also still has some snow, to the easier trails like Cascade Lake and Moss Lake remain skiable.
I hope everyone got out and enjoyed the nice conditions last weekend - if not, scroll down to see what you missed. Because in this year of extremes we ended up with not just a little rain but heavy rain and temperatures near 50 on Monday. It then rapidly cooled down to create a bullet-proof crust. Some slight snow flurries have put a coating to maybe one inch of new snow on top, but that's about it. So for the most part it's get out your crampons or microspikes and go for a hike. The one exception is the Newcomb Lake Road which still has 6" of cover and, according to one unconfirmed report, enough fresh snow to make that gentle terrain skiable.
Looking ahead, the weekend does not look promising with temperatures now predicted to be in the 40s on Saturday and Sunday and rain - especially on Saturday. A little cooler at the start of next week, but remaining warmer than average with no significant new snow in sight.
As of Thursday, Mt. Van Hoevenberg is reporting an inch of powder on crust with 5 km open. Otherwise, aside from Newcomb lake as noted above, there is no skiing to be recommended. Lake Colden still has 14" at the stake, but less in open areas. Skis or snowshoes not required - crampons or microspikes practically mandatory right from the parking lot of any mountain trail.
I hope everyone got out and enjoyed the nice conditions over the weekend - if not, scroll down to see what you missed. Because in this year of extremes we ended up with not just a little rain but heavy rain and temperatures near 50 on Sunday night. It will rapidly cool down this afternoon with very cold (but not as cold as last week's temps) weather Tuesday and Wednesday. Then it will warm up to around freezing each day through the coming weekend. So far, not much snow in the forecast as it cools down, so get out your crampons or microspikes and go for a hike. If there is some significant snow to cover up the ice, we'll let you know. Otherwise, next update on Thursday, 1/9. when we've had a chance to evaluate the conditions and have a better idea of the weekend weather.
No further details except to not that after skiing on 35km, Mt. Van Hoevenberg is again closed as their web cam shows nothing but "hockey-ready" ice in the stadium.
Trail conditions are updated frequently during the season, but always check local weather conditions as well before departing on your trip.
CHECK OUT THE NEW WINTER TRAILS MAP FROM
GREEN GOAT MAPS
Click Image Above to Buy Online!