- INTRODUCTORY REMARKS
- Some 2-3" of light snow fell Friday and Friday night. Not enough to make the steeper backcountry trails skiable, but the gentler terrain, most of the Jackrabbit Trail are finally in reasonable shape. Best skiing remains at Mt. Van Hoevenberg and Cascade. Seasonable temperature predicted Sunday and into next week, but no significant additional snow in the forecast.
- Base Depth - 4-8" (less where there were washouts)
- Surface Conditions - Powder
- Remarks - Hills still require caution as not every rock is fully covered - particularly in the first 1/2 mile above Whiteface Inn Lane and at the Keene end of the Old Mt. Road section.
- BACKCOUNTRY CONDITIONS:
Snow Depth at Lake Colden: 20"
Snow Depth at 4,000 feet: 24"-30"
Surface Conditions: Powder and crust
- Truck trail definitely still the recommended choice over the hiking trail to Marcy Dam. Some boulders to dodge getting to Avalanche Camp, and still some thin spots on the ski trail to the top of the pass, but overall more skiable than two days ago
- Wright Peak and Marcy definitely need a lot more new snow to again be skiable.
- The Calamity Brook Trail rough but negotiable on skis. Opalescent River now frozen at Flowed Lands and crossable with care.
- Road to Newcomb Lake good skiing with now 7" of cover. Moose Pond now also good skiing.
- Fish Pond and Hays Brook truck trail skiable. Raquette Falls probably not yet.
- Connery Pond to Whiteface Landing skiable.
- Lake Colden and Avalanche Lake crossable, but avoid the outlet of Avalanche Lake. Other lakes also finally safe to cross.
- Whiteface Highway skiable from the Toll House with a deeper base starting a mile or so up.
- X-C SKI CENTER CONDITIONS: (Groomed, trail fee required)
- Mt. Van Hoevenberg X-C Ski Center:
- 50km of trails, open daily, rentals, lessons, 518-523-2811, www.whiteface.com/activities/cross-country-skiing
Base Depth (packed) - 2-3"
- Off track snow depth - 7"
Inches New Snow - 3"
Surface Conditions - Powder and crust
Km Open - 50
Km Tracked - 30
- Remarks - New set track on the flatter terrain. Porter Mt. Loops very good skiing
- Cascade X-C Ski Center:
- 20 km of trails with connection to 50km at Mt. Van Hoevenberg, open daily, rentals, lessons, restaurant, bar. 518-523-9605, www.cascadeski.com
Base Depth(packed) - 3"
- Off track snow depth - 10"
Inches New Snow - 3
Surface Conditions - Powder
Km Open -20
Km Tracked - 5
Whiteface Club Nordic Center:
- 10 km of trails, open Wed-Sun. Rentals, 518-523-2551,
- Base Depth (packed) -
Inches New Snow - 1"
- Surface Conditions - Powder and crust
Km Open -
Km Tracked -
Remarks - Call to check
20 km of trails, open daily, rentals, 518-327-6241, www.adirondackvic.org
Base Depth (packed) - 2-4"
- Off track snow depth: 6-8"
Inches New Snow
Surface Conditions -
Km Open -
Km Tracked -
Remarks - Latest report is 1/6, and all trails were listed as closed due to icy conditions. Still no updated report as of 1/10
Dewey Mountain - Saranac Lake
13 km of trails, open daily (including nights until 7PM Tue. - Fri.), rentals, 891-2697 http://www.deweymountain.com
Base Depth (packed) - 1-3
Inches New Snow - 1
Surface conditions - Powder
Km Open - 5
- Km Tracked -
Remarks - New snow helps, but it's very light and is not enough to open the upper trails.
Tupper Lake free x-c ski trails
10 km of groomed trails starting from Tupper Lake Golf Course
- With new lake effect snow there should be enough for grooming, but no report since 1/2
Trail conditions are updated frequently during the season, but always check local weather conditions as well before departing on your trip.